Last Updated: 01/01/2024
Consumers regularly trust Amica with their nonpublic personal information ("NPI"). We take our responsibility to appropriately treat and protect your NPI seriously. This notice explains what NPI we collect, how we collect it and how we protect it.
Summary of Amica's Privacy Notice
- We collect NPI about you from your application, our transactions with you and from third parties as permitted by law.
- We use your NPI to service your policies and claims and to underwrite and price insurance products that meet your needs as you have described them to us.
- We do not share your NPI with nonaffiliated third parties other than as necessary to service your policy or claim.
- When we disclose your NPI to third parties to perform services for us, we require that they protect the NPI and use it only for the purpose it was disclosed.
- We do not sell your NPI to third parties.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your NPI.
NPI We Collect About You
- We get most NPI directly from you during the application process or through other transactions with you. This includes, for example, your name and address, Social Security number, payment account information, type of vehicle, and information about other drivers and members in your household.
- We may ask a consumer reporting agency, data provider or other third party for a report about you, for example: a credit-based insurance score; a report about your coverage and claims history with other companies; motor vehicle records; reports that identify other drivers and members in your household; or criminal records. In limited circumstances, we may request an investigative consumer report, which means that the consumer reporting agency will investigate your habits, finances or if you take part in hazardous activities.
- In addition, for life insurance, we may obtain information about your health from medical providers, MIB, LLC, or other prescription or insurance databases. We may also obtain information from you about your beneficiaries or others on your policy.
How We Use and Disclose NPI
Amica uses and discloses your NPI only as permitted by law and as necessary to conduct business. For example, we may use your NPI to: service products you have applied for or purchased; process claims; offer you other Amica products; perform other business, professional, or insurance functions as permitted by law; verify your coverage or benefits; protect against fraud; and comply with legal requirements. For these purposes, we may share your NPI with:
- Claims adjusters, appraisers, auto repair shops, rental companies, contractors, investigators, attorneys and other third-party vendors who provide services in facilitation of your claim
- Your agent
- Your mortgagee, lienholder or finance company
- Our affiliated companies
- Consultants or other service providers that perform business functions for us, such as mailing or marketing services
- Our reinsurance companies
- Businesses that conduct research, including actuarial or underwriting studies
- Other insurance companies
- Consumer reporting agencies (Information that we share with consumer reporting agencies, including your claims history with us, may be maintained by the consumer reporting agency and disclosed to others as permitted by law)
- Insurance support organizations
- Medical care institutions and medical providers
- State insurance departments, police or other governmental authorities
- Persons as ordered by subpoena, warrant or other court order, or as required by law
Please note that we do not share information about your creditworthiness with our affiliates for their own everyday business purposes. Also, please be aware that information obtained from a report prepared by an insurance support organization may be retained by the insurance support organization and disclosed to other persons.
How We Safeguard NPI
Amica maintains physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to keep your NPI secure. We limit access to employees who "need to know" to service your policy or claim and to support our insurance operations. Also, we have an employee Code of Ethics and Confidentiality Policy and a Cybersecurity Policy that require employees to keep confidential all NPI obtained in the course of our business.
You have the right to know what NPI we have about you, to request a correction and to receive a copy upon request. You may also have other rights, such as the right to delete if you reside in one of the following states: AZ, CA, CT, GA, IL, ME, MA, MN, MT, NV, NJ, NC, OH, OR and VA.
How to submit requests to access, correct, amend, or delete your NPI:
You may be eligible under applicable law to make requests in relation to information we have about you. Please note that your request may be denied in whole or in part if your jurisdiction does not provide you an applicable right.
If you would like to know what NPI Amica has that is personal to you as an individual, you may submit a request for access to that information by mailing your request to the address in the contact us section below.
Your request must describe the records you are seeking. If we can reasonably locate and retrieve the requested records, your NPI will be provided in accordance with applicable laws. We may not be able to provide information if it is privileged or relates to investigations, claims, litigation, or similar or related matters. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover the costs in providing this record.
Responses to requests for information will be completed within 30 days of the request. If we are unable to locate or provide the records you have requested, we will notify you in writing. You have the right to file a statement if you disagree to explain the reasons why you disagree with our determination.
If you believe that our records contain incorrect information that is personal to you as an individual, or if you want to request that Amica deletes your information, you may request corrections, changes or deletion by mailing your request to the address in the contact us section below.
Amica will respond to you within 30 days of receiving your request. If your request cannot be granted, we will send you a notice explaining why the request will not be completed. You have the right to file a statement telling us what you think is correct or why you believe your information should be deleted and the reasons why you disagree with our determination. If you ask us to, we will notify persons with whom we have shared your NPI of the change or your statement. With any subsequent sharing of NPI, we will include a copy of your statement.
Please note that medical records and details about our decisions regarding those records will only be released to your physician or a physician qualified to interpret them.
Additional Information Concerning Your Privacy Rights: For further information, visit our website https://www.amica.com/en/ privacy-security/website-privacy-policy.html.
Contact Us: Requests must be mailed to Amica Mutual Insurance Company, PO Box 363, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865. Because of its legal nature, NPI obtained when settling claims or defending lawsuits need not be shared with you.
Additional State-Specific Rights
For California Residents only. We will not share information we collect about you with nonaffiliated third parties, except as permitted by California law. We will limit sharing among our affiliates to the extent required by California law. We do not share information about creditworthiness.
For Massachusetts Residents only. You may ask in writing for the specific reasons for an adverse underwriting decision. An adverse underwriting decision is where we decline your application for insurance, offer to insure you at a higher than standard rate or terminate your coverage.
For Nevada Residents only. We are providing you this notice under state law. Nevada law requires we provide the following contact information: Bureau of Consumer Protection, Office of the Nevada Attorney General, 555 E. Washington St., Suite 3900, Las Vegas, NV 89101; phone number: 702-486-3132; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Amica Mutual Insurance Company, 100 Amica Way, Lincoln, Rhode Island 02865; email: WebComments@amica.com; phone number: 800-242-6422.
For North Dakota Residents only. We will not share information we collect about you with nonaffiliated third parties, except as permitted by North Dakota law. We will limit sharing among our affiliates to the extent required by North Dakota law.
For Vermont Residents only. Under Vermont law, we will not share information we collect about Vermont residents with companies outside of our affiliates, unless the law allows. We will not disclose information about your creditworthiness to our affiliates and will not disclose your personal information, financial information, credit report, or health information to nonaffiliated third parties to market to you, other than as permitted by Vermont law, unless you authorize us to make those disclosures.
This Notice applies to prospective, current and former customers of the following Amica Companies:
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company
- Amica Life Insurance Company
- Amica Property and Casualty Insurance Company
- Amica General Agency, LLC