Skip to main content

Home Insurance Claim FAQs

Reporting a claim

Your claim handler will contact you and let you know if we’ll send an adjuster to your home. The adjuster will contact you to schedule the appointment. 

Your policy requires that you contact the police and file a police report.

Your responsibilities will differ depending on the type of claim, but there are two things that you should always do:

  • Report your claim to us as soon as possible
  • Protect your property from further loss or damage

The better your records are, the quicker and more accurate your settlement can be. It’s helpful to take photos and keep receipts for valuable items. A photo inventory of the inside and outside of your home is an excellent way to properly and completely account for your belongings. Remember to store the photos in a safe place online or away from home.


Immediately contact Amica to report your claim. Additional living expenses​ are provided for covered losses. We can help you find temporary housing if needed. More information can be found in your policy regarding these coverages.

Call Amica immediately. Depending on the nature and extent of the additional damage, we may need to reinspect before repairs are made. Supplemental payments​ may be issued if coverage applies.


You should obtain an estimate from a contractor. Depending on the extent of the damage, we may also need to have an adjuster​ inspect the damage in addition to your provided estimate.

Amica has a Repair Assistance Program (RAP)​ available in most areas of the country. If you’re interested, we can put you in touch with a contractor to repair your home. You can always choose your own contractor and are under absolutely no obligation to use a contractor in our program.


We are required to list your mortgage company, because they have a legal interest in your property and a vested interest in seeing that the repairs are completed.

Our adjusters​ write estimates based on what they see during the inspection. We realize that additional damage may exist but may not be found until the work begins. Notify us immediately before the additional damage is repaired. We may need to inspect the additional damage to properly assess coverage and accurately estimate the cost of repairs. Supplemental payments​ may be issued if coverage applies.

Payment is generally issued as soon as we have inspected the damage, confirmed coverage and written an estimate for the cost of repairs. The time frame can vary if the loss​ is more complex or involves unique repair items.

The standard home policy covers your personal property at actual cash value​, meaning your personal property settlement will be depreciated​ based on the current age and condition of each item. Replacement cost coverage​ can be purchased through a separate endorsement​. This endorsement will provide full replacement cost coverage for most of your personal property.

Some property, such as jewelry, stamps, coins, guns and silverware, has special limits​ specified in your policy. You may be able to purchase a scheduled personal property​ endorsement on certain valuable items for additional protection.

Related Home Claim FAQs