Claims Frequent Questions

Auto Insurance Claims

Reporting a Claim

Auto and Rental Coverage

Other Auto Claims Related Topics

Reporting a Claim

What information do I need to obtain after an accident so I can file a claim?

  • Names and addresses of the individuals involved
  • Accident location
  • Make, model and plate number of the cars
  • Names of witnesses and anyone who was injured
You don’t need all of this to file a claim, but it’s best to include as much information as possible.

Should I call the police and report the incident?

Yes. We recommend you file a police report for any loss, but it’s required for certain losses as outlined in your policy.

Do I need to obtain my police report before filing a claim?

You can file a claim without having your police report. We’ll take the information that you have, then obtain your police report when it's available and gather the other party's information for you.

Auto and Rental Coverage

What's the difference between collision coverage and comprehensive coverage?

Collision coverage​ covers physical damage to your auto caused by a collision with another car or object. Comprehensive, which is also known as other than collision​, covers physical damage to your auto, including fire, theft, vandalism and broken glass.

Will my auto policy cover me if I drive someone else's car?

The general rule is that insurance follows the car. For example, if you have an accident while driving someone else's car, that person’s insurance would apply first. Your auto insurance may provide coverage if the owner of the car did not have auto insurance or didn’t have enough coverage to pay for the damages. Exclusions​ may apply, so it’s best to contact us to discuss the specifics of the loss and determine possible coverage.

Does my auto policy cover property stolen from my car?

If the stolen items are permanently installed in the car and you have comprehensive (other than collision) coverage, the loss is covered under your auto policy. However, if the stolen property is something that you put in your car, such as CDs or a GPS, this is usually covered under a home policy, as part of your personal property coverage. Certain restrictions may apply.

Do I need to purchase the rental company's insurance on the rental car?

Your Amica auto policy extends the same coverage limits to a rental car, but in some cases you may need more coverage. There may be certain benefits to purchasing additional insurance, but please note that this may result in out-of-pocket​ expenses. Coverage for rental cars applies in U.S. territories only.

How much rental coverage do I have?

Most policies have a $20 per day limit, up to $600 total, included in the collision and other than collision coverage. You may also purchase higher rental limits.

Do I need to purchase a rental damage waiver?

The purchase of a damage waiver, or additional insurance, is not covered under rental reimbursement coverage on your auto policy. It only waives your deductible. However, it is your choice whether or not to purchase this coverage from the rental agency.

What if I need my rental car for longer than expected?

Your policy has specific limits for rental reimbursement coverage. If you need to extend your rental period, you may be responsible for additional costs. If you are not at fault, you may be able to recover the additional expense from the at-fault party.

How am I covered if my car is damaged by a flood?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.

How am I covered if a tree or debris falls on my car?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.

How am I covered if I hit storm debris in the road while driving?

This damage would be covered by your collision coverage.

How am I covered if my car is damaged by hail?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.