Skip to main content

Home Insurance Options: Special Computer Coverage, Flood Insurance and More

Protecting your property involves looking beyond the basics. In addition to the general coverage included in your standard homeowners insurance policy, there are other options to add like special computer coverage, scheduled personal property coverage or (depending on where you live) coverage to protect from storm and earthquake damage. 

An endorsement, or rider, is a modification made to an existing policy that changes the terms of the original contract.1 Remember, a typical homeowners policy may have some exclusions. That’s why it’s important to work with a licensed insurance representative to discuss your unique needs. Let’s review some additional types of coverage you may want to consider — and learn what each one means.

A computer tablet, smartphone and laptop sit on a desk while charging.

Special computer coverage

Often, valuable electronics need coverage beyond the standard homeowners policy. Just imagine if a sudden power surge took out ­your laptop, computer, smartphone or other devices. How much would you potentially lose?

Fortunately, special computer coverage provides protection for devices against direct physical loss. Here are some expensive electronics you may want to protect with special computer coverage:

  • Desktops
  • Laptops
  • Smartphones
  • Gaming devices
  • Smart TVs
  • Other electronic devices

First, ask your home insurer what your current policy covers. Adding special computer coverage helps make sure you’re protected if there’s a power surge (not due to lightning), water damage, heat warping and more. Check in with a licensed insurance representative to find out what your current policy covers and what type of specialty computer insurance you may want to add.


A house with sandbags piled high against floodwater.

Earthquakes and floods

In general, homeowners and renters insurance doesn’t cover earthquake damage; however, a standard policy typically covers losses resulting from fire following an earthquake.2 If you live in an area where earthquakes are common, you may be able to get additional coverage added to your homeowners policy. If you live in California, for example, earthquake coverage may be offered by your home insurance company or through the California Earthquake Authority.3

Flood insurance is offered by insurance companies, but is written through the federally backed National Flood Insurance Program. This program handles claims and provides coverage for up to $250,000 for the dwelling and up to $100,000 for belongings.4

It’s common for mortgage companies to require flood insurance if your home is near a floodplain. Regardless, it’s a good idea to buy this additional coverage. It helps ensure you’re properly covered if there’s a flood, as your homeowners insurance won’t necessarily cover damages. Finally, when considering flood insurance, plan ahead. Most insurers implement a 30-day waiting period before the coverage takes effect.5

A room with a drainage hose and industrial fan to remove water.

Water backup and sump overflow

Unexpected and accidental water damage, like from rainstorms or burst pipes, is covered by most homeowners insurance policies. But, at the same time, they also exclude coverage for backed-up sewers and drains. A backed-up sewer or drain can happen if the sewer is old, a tree root causes damage, or there are sanitary blockages.6 You can purchase an endorsement to cover damage from water that backs up through sewers and drains, or overflows from a sump pump. 

A jewelry box with earrings, rings and a pearl necklace.

Scheduled personal property

Most homeowners insurance policies’ personal property limits aren’t enough to cover expensive items such as jewelry, fine art, furs, golf clubs, cameras, bicycles, computers or silverware. For example, the standard home insurance policy provides only $1,000 to $2,000 for stolen jewelry.7 Scheduling or individually listing an expensive item offers increased coverage (without a deductible) tailored to a specific value. It also broadens damage protection to include perils in addition to fire and theft, such as accidental loss.

Social Security cards.

Identity fraud expense

Unfortunately, no one is safe from the risk of identity theft. In fact, in 2020, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) received 4.8 million reports of fraud and identity theft, an increase of 45% over the prior year.8

The good news is you can purchase an endorsement to help cover the cost of legal fees, lost wages and other expenses if your identity is stolen. Some insurers will also provide you with an identity theft resolution expert to personally assist with the complex steps involved in reclaiming your name.

Think you might need supplemental coverage? Call 833-513-3881 to speak with an insurance specialist.

Want to learn more about Amica home insurance? 

Get a quote online today

or call 833-513-3881

1 What Is an Insurance Endorsement or Rider?, National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), 2020.
2 Earthquake Insurance for Homeowners, Insurance Information Institute, 2021.
3 California Earthquake Authority, 2021.
4 National Flood Insurance Program Summary of Coverage, FEMA, 2021.
5 Understanding Your Policy Terms, FEMA National Flood Insurance Program, 2021.
6 What Is Water Backup Coverage?, Policygenius, 2021.
7 Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Lost or Damaged Jewelry?, Policygenius, 2020.
8 Facts + Statistics: Identity Theft and Cybercrime, Insurance Information Institute, 2021.

Your Policy, Policy Declarations or Amended Declarations in effect on the date of loss is the primary source of reference for your coverage, coverage limits and deductible amounts.

This inclusion of non-Amica companies, products, services or statement herein (“Third-Party Content”) is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute a recommendation or endorsement by Amica Insurance. Policies, views, opinions or positions of Third-Party Content expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the policies, views, opinions or positions of Amica Insurance. Amica Insurance makes no warranties, express or implies, as to the accuracy and reliability of Third-Party Content.

This content may contain helpful tips, explanation and advice. Your use of this information is voluntary and may not be effective in every circumstance. Amica encourages you to use good judgement and put safety first.

For more information on our editorial process and content standard, take a look at our editorial guidelines.