When snow and ice start to melt, here are a few things you can do to help prevent damage to your home and belongings:
- Move furniture and electronics off the floor or to an upper level in your home.
- Roll up area rugs, and store them on higher floors or elevations. This will reduce the chances of them getting wet and growing mold.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains to make sure they’re working properly.
- Shut off electrical service at the main breaker if you think the electrical system and outlets may end up under water.
- Place appliances on masonry blocks or concrete at least 12 inches above the projected flood elevation.
- Seal cracks or gaps in your foundation or walls.
- Remove piles of snow that are against the house.