States most at risk for wildfires2
Number of properties at high to extreme risk from wildfire
|State/Province||Number of Properties*|
Prevent wildfire damage in and around your home
A single spark from a cigarette, campfire or downed power line can ignite a blaze that could last for weeks. And most structures that burn in a wildfire are ignited by embers carried downwind ahead of the fire. Take these steps to help keep yourself, your family and your property safe.
- Stock enough emergency supplies for 72 hours. Learn more
- Download the Emergency App for iPhone (Start here) or Android (Start here).
- Know your insurance coverage and where to find your policies. Start here
- Take photos or video of each room to document your belongings.
- Store contact info for emergency services, family members, friends, neighbors and your insurance company in your phone.
- Know your community’s warning system and the emergency shelter locations.
- Plan and practice two escape routes and specify a meeting place.
- Develop a family communication plan and share it with others.