Company Facts and History
Name: Amica Mutual Insurance Company
Headquarters: 100 Amica Way, Lincoln, RI
Established: 1907 – Amica is the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States.
Company Profile: Amica is a direct writer of personal insurance with auto, homeowners, personal excess liability and marine coverages. The company is known in the insurance industry for its financial strength and exceptional customer service.
Senior Officer: Robert A. DiMuccio, chairman, president and chief executive officer
- A++ (Superior) from A.M. Best Company as of Jan. 27, 2016*
- Repeatedly recognized for exceptional service in auto and homeowners insurance surveys by a leading consumer publication.
Assets as of Dec. 31, 2014 - $5.1 billion
Policy counts as of Dec. 31, 2014 - 1.4 million
- Amica Life Insurance Company – Directly offers life insurance and annuity products. Also offers some health and specialty products (through Amica General Agency and on a direct-referral basis), which vary by state. It does business in all states except for Hawaii. Established in 1968.
- Amica Property and Casualty Insurance Company – A wholly owned subsidiary of Amica Mutual Insurance Company that provides auto insurance in New Jersey and New York. Established in 2005. New Jersey auto insurance was provided by Amica Mutual Insurance Company prior to 2005.
- Amica General Agency, Inc. – A wholly owned subsidiary of Amica Mutual Insurance Company established to assist with special or unique insurance needs. Incorporated in 1987.
- Amica General Agency of CA, Inc. – A wholly owned subsidiary of Amica Mutual Insurance Company created to assist with special or unique insurance needs in California and Nevada. Established in 1995.
1907 The Automobile Mutual Insurance Company of America was founded in Providence by A. T. Vigneron. It offered automotive, fire and theft insurance.
1914 The Factory Mutual Liability Insurance Company of America was chartered for the purpose of providing liability insurance to Automobile Mutual policyholders.
1941 The company opened its first branch office in Boston.
1956 The company began issuing homeowners insurance in 1956. It later added marine and personal excess liability insurance.
1970 Amica Life Insurance Company wrote its first policy.
1973 Automobile Mutual and Factory Mutual merged to form a more efficient corporate identity.
1994 Amica's corporate offices moved from Providence to Lincoln, RI.
2005 Robert A. DiMuccio was elected Amica's president and chief executive officer. The title of chairman was added in 2008.
2007 Amica celebrated its 100th anniversary.
2014 Amica has 44 offices across the country and thrives as the oldest mutual insurer of automobiles in the United States.
*A.M. Best Company. Jan. 27, 2016. For the latest rating, access ambest.com.