LINCOLN, R.I. - Losing weight is one of the most popular New Year's resolutions, so Amica Insurance is sharing wellness tips to help develop a healthy plan.
“Healthy habits don’t just happen – they need to be planned,” said Jean Tapley, wellness program manager at Amica. “With a solid plan in place, your resolution will become a reality.”
Tapley recommends using the S.M.A.R.T.E.R. method to set goals:
- Specific: Consider the details by setting a weight goal and timeframe.
- Measureable: Keep an exercise and food log, and weigh yourself weekly.
- Attainable/Achievable: Losing 10 pounds in a week is not realistic, but one to two pounds a week is attainable.
- Relevant: Consider the positive effects of weight loss – feeling better, staying off medication or being able to play with grandchildren.
- Timely: Use a calendar, diary or log to track progress, and make adjustments to meet your goal within a specific timeline.
- Enjoyable/Exciting: Participate in an activity that you enjoy, and reward yourself for your achievements along the way.
- Resources: Recruit a workout buddy, or subscribe to a healthy cooking magazine.