LINCOLN, R.I. - Summer is the perfect time to go on vacation, but it’s important to secure your home before doing so. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing some tips to help deter burglars from breaking and entering.
According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), if it takes more than four or five minutes to gain access to a home, burglars will typically go elsewhere. Amica is also sharing the following tips from the III to prevent burglaries:
- Leave blinds open in their usual position.
- Have mail picked up or held by the post office.
- Turn down the volume of the telephone ringer and answering machine so they can’t be heard outside.
- Have the lawn mowed so the home doesn’t look unattended.
- Use automatic timers for lights, and even consider connecting a radio to a timer.
- Notify police and neighbors that you’ll be travelling so they can keep a close eye on your home.