LINCOLN, R.I. – Winter weather can often leave potholes behind. Driving over those potholes can lead to costly damage, so Amica Insurance has tips to help protect your vehicle.
Amica is sharing the following suggestions from the Michigan Department of Transportation:
- Drive cautiously so there is more time to see and react to approaching potholes.
- Make sure headlights are working properly and the windshield is clear.
- Be especially careful around puddles, as they could be potholes filled with water.
- Keep a firm grip on the steering wheel, as potholes can cause your vehicle to change direction suddenly. Also, don't swerve into an occupied lane to avoid a pothole, which can lead to a collision and cause further damage or injury.
- Make sure tires are inflated to the proper level. Tires that are under- or over-inflated are more likely to be affected by potholes.