LINCOLN, R.I. - Online shopping remains a very popular choice for consumers. In fact, the National Retail Federation reports that 78 million consumers plan to shop online on Cyber Monday in 2017.
Online shopping can be convenient, but it can also lead to cyber fraud. Amica Insurance is sharing six tips from the National Crime Prevention Council to keep online shopping a safe option for your holiday needs:
- Update security software before making any purchases.
- Beware of good deals from companies that are unfamiliar. If it seems too good to be true, it most likely is.
- Shop with trustworthy companies. If interested in purchasing from an unfamiliar company, do research to ensure they are reliable.
- Never respond to unsolicited emails or “spam.”
- If asked to act quickly or respond to an emergency through email, it may be a scam.
- Save records of online transactions, including the product description, price and return policy.