LINCOLN, R.I. - The new year is here, and that means it’s the perfect time to set a course for the future. Reviewing your insurance policies is a great place to start, so Amica Insurance has some tips to keep in mind.
Purchase renters insurance to protect yourself and your belongings.
- A landlord’s policy generally won’t cover a tenant’s belongings in the event of theft, fire or some other loss.
- Renters insurance provides liability coverage, which can help pay medical and legal expenses if someone is injured.
- A policy can include “loss of use” coverage, which pays for hotel and other living expenses if the home is uninhabitable as a result of fire or other loss.
Financially prepare for emergencies and weather-related disasters.
- Conduct an annual review of insurance policies and limits to ensure there is adequate coverage in place to handle a catastrophic loss.
- Consider additional coverage to help protect against natural disasters, which are not typically covered under a standard policy.
- Create a home inventory record to help when reporting a loss to be fully compensated.
Review your life insurance policy.
- Consider costs for child care, education and household services. Having the right coverage can help your family stay in their home, cover any child care, household or final expenses, and save for college.
- Employer-provided coverage typically provides only one to two times your income, and it typically ends when you leave your job or retire. Getting your own life insurance policy puts you in control to have the right amount of coverage in place.
- Match term coverage to the term of the mortgage. If you have a 30-year mortgage, purchasing a 30-year term policy that’s equal to or more than the mortgage amount will help cover this expense if the unexpected happens.