LINCOLN, R.I. - Holiday shopping can often be hectic, as consumers look for the perfect gifts for their friends and family. In fact, the National Retail Federation estimated that 154 million people shopped during Thanksgiving weekend in 2016, with 40 percent of them shopping in-store.
The National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) urges consumers to take extra precautions when shopping in busy stores and malls. Amica Insurance is sharing these reminders from the NCPC to help keep you and your purchases safe while holiday shopping:
- Don’t buy more than you can carry. Plan ahead by bringing a friend to help carry bags, or ask an employee for assistance.
- Wait until payment is requested before taking out a wallet or purse.
- Tell a security guard or employee if there are unattended shopping bags in the area.
- Try to shop on weekdays when stores aren’t as busy.
- Lock purchases in the trunk if driving from one store to another.
- Park in well-lit areas, and keep your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle.