LINCOLN, R.I. - March is Red Cross Month, and Amica Insurance is sharing fire safety and prevention tips to highlight its partnership with the Red Cross Ready 365 Home Fire Preparedness Campaign.
On average, the Red Cross responds to about 66,000 disasters each year, the majority of which are home fires. That’s why it’s important to install smoke alarms on every level of the home and test the batteries once a month. Amica is also sharing the following fire safety tips from the Red Cross:
- Keep items that can catch fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Develop a household fire escape plan, and practice the plan with family members twice a year.
- If a fire does occur in the home, get out, stay out, and call for help.