LINCOLN, R.I. - March is Red Cross Month, so Amica Insurance is sharing fire safety and prevention tips to highlight its partnership with the Red Cross Ready 365 Home Fire Preparedness Campaign.
According to the Red Cross, 60 percent of fire deaths occur in homes with no working smoke alarms. That’s why it’s important to install smoke alarms on every level of the home and test the batteries once a month. Amica is also sharing the following fire safety tips from the Red Cross:
- Keep items that can catch fire at least three feet away from anything that gets hot, such as space heaters.
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Develop a household fire escape plan, and practice the plan with family members twice a year.
- If a fire does occur in the home, get out, stay out, and call for help.
The Home Fire Preparedness Campaign also sends Red Cross volunteers into communities to educate residents about fire safety and fire escape planning, as well as to install smoke alarms free of charge. (To learn more about volunteering opportunities, click here.)
Sean Welch, vice president in Amica’s claims executive department and a Red Cross board member, volunteers for various Red Cross initiatives and events with his family. He encourages others to get involved.
“If you like helping people, volunteering with the Red Cross is extremely rewarding,” Welch said. “Many people need help. That’s what the Red Cross is here for – to help take care of our neighbors.”
(PHOTO INFO: Sean Welch, vice president in Amica's claims executive department, is a Red Cross board member and volunteer.)