LINCOLN, R.I. - May is National Moving Month, and Amica Insurance is sharing tips to help make the process as smooth as possible.
Amica suggests the following when preparing to relocate to a new home:
- Buy plenty of boxes and tape before packing. Not having enough will only add stress to the process.
- Create an inventory of items while packing and unpacking to protect yourself in the event of an accident or theft.
- Don’t repack items that are stored in a dresser. Instead, cover the dresser in blankets and use tape to make it more secure.
- If moving with kids, have them pack a box of their favorite personal items.
- If moving with pets, remember to have their ID tags updated with your new address.
- Before moving day, shred outdated personal documents and recycle the scraps.
- The week before moving, plan dinner menus to use up the food in your home instead of packing it or throwing it away.
- Move on a weekday when banks, utilities and government offices are open to make the transition easier.