LINCOLN, R.I. - Memorial Day Weekend marks the unofficial start of summer and the beginning of vacation season. It’s also known for elevated levels of motor vehicle crashes, which result in numerous injuries and deaths nationwide.
That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing the following tips to promote road safety and make sure your family and vehicle are ready.
- Check the tire pressure, tread wear and the spare. This is especially important if traveling in a 12- to 15-person passenger van, 57 percent of which typically have at least one significantly underinflated tire.
- Make sure windshield wipers work, and replace worn blades, if necessary. Also, fill up the wiper fluid reservoir.
- Keep up with routine maintenance and tune-ups. Have the vehicle checked for leaks, worn hoses or other necessary parts, repairs and replacements.
- Plan a travel route ahead of time by checking the weather, road conditions and traffic. Leave early, allowing plenty of time to reach the destination.
- Always wear a seatbelt, whether driving or riding along as a passenger. Children under the age of 13 should sit in the back seat.
- Never drink and drive, and avoid distractions like texting. Stay focused and alert at all times.