LINCOLN, R.I. - No matter your stage of life, it’s important to consider several factors when determining how much life insurance to buy. As part of Life Insurance Awareness Month, Amica Insurance is sharing the following tips to make sure your coverage aligns with your needs.
- Consider costs for child care, education and household services: An important part of life insurance coverage is having enough to maintain your standard of living. With the right coverage, your family will be able to stay in their home, cover any child care and household needs and save for college expenses.
- Life insurance provided by your employer may not meet your needs: Employer-provided coverage typically provides only one to two times your income, and it ends when you leave your job or retire. Getting your own life insurance policy puts you in control to have the right amount of coverage in place.
- Match term coverage to the term of the mortgage: If you have a 30-year mortgage, purchasing a 30-year term policy that’s equal to or more than the mortgage amount will help cover this expense if the unexpected happens.
- Support family members who may depend on you: Whether it’s aging parents or adult children, it’s important to include coverage to help protect those who need you.
- Include coverage for final expenses: Funerals and final expenses can be costly. Having coverage in place will help to alleviate the financial burden. In 2015, the average funeral costs between $7,000 and $10,000.*
*Source: “Funeral costs: How much does an average funeral cost?” by Mike Testa. April 26, 2015.