Claims Frequent Questions

Home Insurance Claims

Reporting a Claim


Personal Property

Other Homeowner Claims Related Topics

Reporting a Claim

When will a representative view the damage to my home?

Your claim handler will contact you and let you know if we’ll send an adjuster to your home. The adjuster will contact you to schedule the appointment. 

What do I need to do if something is stolen from my home?

Your policy requires that you contact the police and file a police report.

What are my responsibilities after a loss?

Your responsibilities will differ depending on the type of claim, but there are two things that you should always do:

  • Report your claim to us as soon as possible
  • Protect your property from further loss or damage

What kinds of records are needed to validate a home claim?

The better your records are, the quicker and more accurate your settlement can be. It’s helpful to take photos and keep receipts for valuable items. A photo inventory of the inside and outside of your home is an excellent way to properly and completely account for your belongings. Remember to store the photos in a safe place online or away from home.


What should I do if I can't live in my home after a loss?

Immediately contact Amica to report your claim. Additional living expenses​ are provided for covered losses. We can help you find temporary housing if needed. More information can be found in your policy regarding these coverages.

What happens if more damage is found after Amica views my home or after a claim is closed?

Call Amica immediately. Depending on the nature and extent of the additional damage, we may need to reinspect before repairs are made. Supplemental payments​ may be issued if coverage applies.

Personal Property

How will I be compensated for a covered personal property loss?

The standard home policy covers your personal property at actual cash value​, meaning your personal property settlement will be depreciated​ based on the current age and condition of each item. Replacement cost coverage​ can be purchased through a separate endorsement​. This endorsement will provide full replacement cost coverage for most of your personal property.

Some property, such as jewelry, stamps, coins, guns and silverware, has special limits​ specified in your policy. You may be able to purchase a scheduled personal property​ endorsement on certain valuable items for additional protection.

How am I covered if an item is stolen from my car?

If the stolen item is permanently installed in the car and you have comprehensive (Other than collision) coverage, the loss is covered under your auto policy. However, if the property is something that you put in your car, such as CDs or a GPS, this is usually covered under a home policy, as part of your personal property coverage. Certain restrictions may apply