See all Safety Tips
Snow and ice can cause serious problems for homes in cold weather. Here are some tips to prevent freeze damage:
- Insulate exposed pipes especially those in a garage, basement or attic.
- Keep the attic well-ventilated and well-insulated to prevent ice dams.
- Caulk any holes, gaps or cracks in walls that may allow cold air into your house.
- Make sure doors and windows have a proper seal to prevent cold air from entering your home.
- Disconnect garden hoses. Install faucet covers and shut off the water supply to outside faucets.
It's especially important to take some steps to prevent frozen pipes if your home will be empty during the winter.
- Drain the water system.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Set the thermostat to at least 55 degrees.