Safe Driving Tips
Car accidents can happen at any time and to anyone, whether you're a new driver or have years of experience. Here are some reminders to keep you, your passengers and other drivers safe on the roads:
- Always wear a seatbelt.
- Avoid distracted driving. Many states now ban the use of hand-held cell phones and/or texting while driving.
- Don't speed or drive carelessly.
- Don't drink and drive. Make sure you have a designated driver.
- Get plenty of rest before a long trip and stop for frequent breaks. Don't drive when you're tired.
- Pay attention to road and weather conditions.
It's important to stay calm if you are involved in a car crash. Here are some tips to handle the situation effectively:
- Contact emergency personnel. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately.
- Exchange information with the other vehicle's owner and obtain contact information from passengers and witnesses.
- Give the police your version of what happened. Always ask for the police officer's name, department and incident number.
- Take photos and videos of the scene if it's safe to do so.