Effective Date: 05/1/17
- The types of information we may collect or that you may provide when you download, access or use the FlexMile® mobile application (the "App") or your use of the OBD II data collection device (the “OBD device”); and
- Our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This Policy applies only to information we collect through the OBD device and/or the App and in email, text, chat, telephone calls or other electronic communications set through or in connection with the OBD device and/or the App.
This Policy DOES NOT apply to information that:
To the extent that you provide information to third parties, we encourage you obtain and read the privacy policies of those third parties before providing information on or through them.
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information obtained through the OBD device and/or the App and how we will use it and treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, do not download, create a password, access your account or profile through or use the App. The connection and use of the OBD device and the information provided therefrom is not optional. By connecting and using the OBD device and/or downloading, creating a password, accessing your account or profile or using the App, you agree to this Policy. This Policy may change from time to time. Your continued use of the OBD device and/or the App after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Policy periodically for updates.
Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect mileage information from and about users of the App:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us; and
- Automatically when you use the OBD device and/or the App included but not limited to i) trip route information and global navigation system satellite (GNSS) information; (ii) data collected from sensors in the device (such as accelerometer, gyroscope and magnetometer data); (iii) the time of day a trip takes place; and (iv) other information regarding your vehicle.
Information You Elect to Provide to Us
We will only receive certain information if you elect to provide it to us. The circumstances and purposes of your providing this information ("nonpublic personal information") is described below.
When you download the App and seek to use certain functions within the App, such as accessing and reviewing your account information, we may ask you provide nonpublic personal information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, email address, account information or telephone number; and
- Information that you provide when you report a problem with the App.
You may also provide certain information to us through the App that relates to your policies with Amica, if any. In these instances, you may elect to provide this nonpublic personal information, such as:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms in the App. This includes information provided at the time you log in to your account with us through the App, or request further services from us through the App; and
- Videos and photos taken by you with your mobile device through the App, or selected from a gallery of photos or videos from your mobile device.
Automatic Information Collection
Other information about you may be automatically collected when you download, access and use the App through technology designed to collect this information ("application usage information"). The types of application usage information we collect are:
Usage details: When you access and use the App, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the App, including session data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the App.
Device information: We may collect information about your mobile device and Internet connection, including the device's unique device identifier, operating system, browser type, mobile network information and the device's telephone number.
Third-party Information Collection
When you use the App or its content, certain third parties may use automatic information collection technologies to collect information about you or your device. These third parties may include:
- Your mobile device manufacturer; and
- Your mobile service provider.
These third parties may use tracking technologies to collect information about our users. This may include information about users' use of this App and other apps and websites to serve them interest-based (behavioral) advertising. We do not control these third parties' tracking technologies or how they may be used.
How We Use Your Information
The application usage information we collect helps us to improve the App and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the App according to your individual interests; and
- Recognize you when you use the App.
We may disclose aggregate application usage information about users of the App without restriction.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Any information you submit to us through the App will be protected using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol and RSA encryption.
Once transmitted, your nonpublic personal information is protected by our secure firewalls and other network security measures. We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a user name and password for access to certain parts of the App, you are responsible for keeping this user name and password confidential. We ask you not to share your user name and password.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via cellular networks, the internet and mobile platforms is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted through the App. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures we provide.
We may utilize push notifications to notify you of updates or changes. A push notification is a way for the App to send information to your phone via a badge, alert or pop-up message, even when you are not using the App. As a default, the App is set to provide these push notifications. You may disable push notifications by using the applicable settings within Your iOS or Android smartphone. Push notifications do not gather any additional information about you.
Changes to this Policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. If we make material changes, we will post the new Policy on this page with a notice that the Policy has been updated.
The date the Policy was last revised is identified at the top of the first page of this Policy. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date, active and deliverable email address and/or phone number for you and for periodically visiting this Policy to check for any changes.
To ask questions or comment about this Policy and our privacy practices, contact us at:
100 Amica Way
Lincoln RI, 02865
or via our toll-free number: