LINCOLN, R.I. - Summer is the perfect time to go on vacation, but it’s important to secure your home before doing so. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing some tips to help deter burglars from breaking and entering.
According to the FBI, nearly 20 percent of property crimes were burglaries in 2015. Amica is sharing the following tips from the Insurance Information Institute to help prevent them:
- Leave blinds open in their usual position.
- Have mail picked up or held by the post office.
- Turn down the volume of the telephone ringer and answering machine so they can’t be heard outside.
- Have the lawn mowed so the home doesn’t look unattended.
- Use automatic timers for lights, and even consider connecting a radio to a timer.
- Notify police and neighbors that you’ll be travelling so they can keep a close eye on your home.