LINCOLN, R.I. - More destinations and stores are becoming pet-friendly, making the family companion easier to tote along on a road trip. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing some tips to help your whole family travel safely and comfortably.
According to the Travel Industry Association of America, about 30 million people travel with pets each year. Amica is sharing the following tips from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals:
- Keep pets safe and secure in a well-ventilated crate or carrier that’s large enough for them to stand, sit, lie down and turn around. Be sure to always secure the crate so it won’t slide or shift.
- Never leave pets alone in a parked vehicle.
- Pack a pet traveling kit, and include travel papers, food, a bowl, a leash, a waste scoop, plastic bags, grooming supplies, medication, a pet first-aid kit and a favorite toy or pillow. Also, pack plenty of water.
- Pets should have a microchip for identification, as well as a collar with an imprinted tag that includes your home address, cellphone number and other relevant contact information.
- Some states require proof of rabies vaccinations, so bring a copy if traveling across state lines.