LINCOLN, R.I. - The holiday season can be a dangerous time for consumers toting their new purchases through the mall parking lot. That’s why Amica Insurance is sharing tips to help prevent problems during the holidays.
According to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration, a motor vehicle is stolen every 45 seconds in the U.S. Amica is sharing the following parking lot safety tips from Consumer Reports:
- Park in populated, well-lit areas. It may take some time to find the perfect spot, but it will be worth it in the long run.
- When exiting the car, close all windows and lock the vehicle. Make sure that all valuables inside the car – like the GPS – have been hidden properly.
- Be alert. Always check your front, sides and rear when walking to and from the car.
- Assume someone is watching you. Criminals look for shoppers who put purchases in their cars and return to shopping. Move the car between trips if possible.
- Walk quickly to the car when finished with shopping. Lock the doors immediately, and drive off without wasting time.