LINCOLN, R.I. - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease is the leading cause of death among adults in the United States. That’s why, as part of American Heart Month, Amica Insurance is sharing some tips to promote heart health.
Jean Tapley, senior wellness coordinator at Amica, suggests living a heart-healthy lifestyle by following these seven steps from the American Heart Association:
- Get active.
- Control cholesterol.
- Eat better.
- Manage blood pressure.
- Lose weight.
- Reduce blood sugar.
- Stop smoking.
According to a study by cardiologists at the University of Maryland Medical Center, laughter and a sense of humor are also good for heart health. Since laughter increases circulation and oxygen intake, activates muscles and relieves stress, Tapley suggests the following:
- Smile when looking in the mirror.
- Subscribe to an email joke of the day.
- Laugh the way you did when you were a child.
- Watch a favorite comedy TV show, movie or live comedy show at least once a week.
- Find the humor in stressful situations, and be able to laugh at yourself.
- Share a funny story from your past with a friend.
- Only allow positive thoughts to enter your mind.
About Amica Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Co., the nation’s oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, based in Lincoln, Rhode Island, is a national writer of auto, home, marine and umbrella insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,400 people in 44 offices across the country. For more information, visit Amica.com.
Media inquiries can be sent to MediaCenter@amica.com.
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.