LINCOLN, R.I. - According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, heart disease remains the leading cause of death among adults in the U.S. Since February is American Heart Month, Amica Insurance is sharing some tips to promote heart health.
Jean Tapley, wellness program manager at Amica, suggests living a heart-healthy lifestyle by following these seven steps from the American Heart Association:
- Get active.
- Control cholesterol.
- Eat better.
- Manage blood pressure.
- Lose weight.
- Reduce blood sugar.
- Stop smoking.
A study by cardiologists at the University of Maryland Medical Center says that laughter and a sense of humor are also good for heart health. Since laughter increases circulation and oxygen intake, activates muscles and relieves stress, Tapley suggests the following:
- Smile when looking in the mirror.
- Subscribe to an email joke of the day.
- Laugh the way you did when you were a child.
- Watch a favorite comedy TV show, movie or live comedy show at least once a week.
- Find the humor in stressful situations, and be able to laugh at yourself.
- Share a funny story from your past with a friend.
- Only allow positive thoughts to enter your mind.