A winter storm can consist of sleet, freezing rain, frost, ice storms or blizzards. Extreme cold and snowstorms can hit any region without warning, so it's important to listen for a winter storm watch and winter storm warning.
Make sure your home and car are ready for winter with these and other winter tips for your home and winter tips for your car.
- Install storm windows and insulate walls and pipes.
- Shut off water valves leading outside.
- Keep dry wood for your fireplace.
- Keep at least a half-tank of gas in your car at all times.
- Keep an emergency supply kit in your car.
During a winter storm:
- If you're outdoors, watch for signs of hypothermia and frostbite.
- Be careful when shoveling snow. Avoid overexerting your muscles and losing body heat.
- Drive only if you have to. Do not travel alone, and let others know where you are. Check here for other blizzard driving tips.