The Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900 was the deadliest in American history, leaving more than 8,000 people dead. But with advances in meteorology and technology, people now have plenty of warning to prepare and protect themselves. Hurricane season runs from June 1 to Nov. 30, but it's best to prepare before the storm, before the first hurricane watch or warning is issued. Here's how:
- Prepare an emergency supply kit.
- Create an evacuation plan.
- Compile a list of emergency numbers.
- Review your insurance coverage.
- Prepare an inventory of your belongings. (See www.knowyourstuff.org to obtain free inventory software from the Insurance Information Institute.)
- Record your insurance policy number and Amica's toll free number, 800-242-6422, in case you have to file a claim.
- Check your house and yard to make sure they're ready for a storm.Protect your home as much as possible in advance. The Institute for Business and Home Safety offers a variety of storm preparation tips on its website, www.disastersafety.org.