LINCOLN, RI – Memorial Day weekend usually involves cookouts, pool parties and road trips to visit family and friends. But there’s also an increased risk of motor vehicle accidents during holiday weekends, so Amica Insurance offers some tips to keep you and your family safe on the roads.
"Memorial Day weekend is the unofficial start to summer, so that means lots of people will be celebrating this weekend,” said Lisa St. Onge, an assistant vice president for Amica. “But with so many people traveling, it’s important to be especially cautious on the roads and highways. “
Here are a few reminders:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make sure you have a designated driver.
• Wear your seatbelt at all times. (Police in many states are watching closely for seatbelt violations.)
• Avoid distracted driving. Many states now ban the use of hand-held cell phones and/or texting while driving.
• Don’t speed or drive carelessly.
• Get plenty of rest before a long trip and stop for frequent breaks. Don’t drive when you’re tired.
• Slow down for road construction and beware of detours.
"If you are involved in an accident, it’s important to remain calm,” St. Onge said.
Turn on your hazard lights and, if it’s safe to do so, move your vehicle away from traffic, St. Onge said.
Here are a few other reminders:
• Contact emergency personnel. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately.
• Give the police your version of what happened. Always ask for the police officer’s name, department and incident number.
• Exchange information with the other vehicle’s owner and obtain contact information from passengers and/or witnesses.
• Take photos and videos of the scene if it’s safe to do so.
"Most important," St. Onge said, "have a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend with family and friends."
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.