LINCOLN, RI – If you’re traveling for the holidays, please drive safely. But if an accident occurs, remember Amica Insurance offers a handy accident checklist on Amica.com and on the Amica mobile app for most smartphones.
''We hope everyone makes it to their holiday parties safely,” said Lisa St. Onge, an assistant vice president with Amica. “But accidents do happen, even on those last-minute trips to the mall, so it’s important to be prepared. That’s why we have an Auto Accident Checklist, with a list of what to do – and not do – if you’re involved in an accident. We hope you never have to use it. But, just in case, you may want to print a copy to keep with your vehicle or download the Amica mobile app so you’ll have it on your phone.”
Amica Insurance Auto Accident Checklist
If you are involved in an accident
• Remain calm and clearheaded.
• Turn on your hazard lights.
• If safe to do so, move your vehicle away from traffic.
• Do not discuss who is at fault or your insurance limits.
• Do not leave the scene of the accident.
Contact emergency personnel
• If anyone is injured, call 911 for medical assistance.
• Do not move an injured person.
• Give police your version of what happened.
• Obtain the police officer's name, department and incident number.
• Vehicle owner's name, address, telephone and/or email address
• Insurance information (company and policy number)
• Other vehicle information (year, make, model and registration plate)
• Driver's name, address, telephone and/or email address (if different from the vehicle owner's information)
• Obtain contact information from passengers and/or witnesses.
• Note the accident location.
Take photos/video if safe to do so
• Accident scene
• Traffic controls
• Street names
• Road conditions
• Vehicles and other property damage
“'Also, remember to buckle up, pay attention and stay fresh and alert when driving,” St. Onge said. “'And, if you’re going to a party or event where alcohol will be served, make sure there is a designated driver.”
With so many people on the roads and so many holiday parties, motorists need to be extra vigilant this time of year, St.Onge said. We hope everyone has a safe, happy holiday season.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.