LINCOLN, RI –Next week is National Teen Driver Safety Week, which is a good time to talk to teenagers about driving safely.
"Traffic fatalities are the leading cause of death for teenagers in America,” said Lisa DeCubellis, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Mutual Insurance Co. “Young drivers need to be safe on our roadways.”
Amica would like to share the following safety tips from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
• Never use your cell phone while driving. Talking on the phone or texting is a distraction.
• Always wear a seat belt. It could save your life in an accident.
• Never use alcohol or drugs if you will be driving.
• Avoid speeding or driving carelessly.
• Follow all traffic laws.
"Parents and guardians also play an important role in teaching teens to be safe drivers,” DeCubellis said. “Teenagers model adult driving habits, so it’s important to be a responsible role model.”
If your teen will soon be eligible to start driving, remember the following tips:
• Remember that not all teenagers are ready to drive at the same age. Consider whether your teen is responsible enough to get behind the wheel.
• Choose a reliable driving school.
• Practice driving with your teenager and be patient. Practice sessions will provide young drivers with valuable roadway experience.
For more information, please visit www.nhtsa.gov/Teen-Drivers.
Amica also offers a free DVD for parents and teens called Young Drivers – The High-Risk Years. The DVD shows young drivers talking about what driving means to them, as well as parents of teenagers who died in crashes, telling how the tragedies happened and how their families have been affected. For a free copy of this DVD, please see free DVD at Amica.com.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in
1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.