LINCOLN, RI – Planning a road trip this summer? Amica Insurance offers these tips to help you pump up your gas mileage:
• Don’t speed. Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 miles per hour.
• Drive efficiently. Avoid quick starts and stops. Combine errands to avoid making several short trips.
• Avoid idling. Turn off the engine if you have to wait. Idling wastes fuel and pollutes the air.
• Cruise when possible. Use cruise control, when appropriate, to improve fuel economy when driving on a highway.
• Clean out your trunk. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk can reduce fuel economy by up to two percent.
• Don’t pile it on. Avoid loading items on the roof rack because it creates wind resistance and can decrease fuel economy by five percent.
• Tune up. Tuning your engine according to your owner’s manual can increase gas mileage by an average of four percent.
• Keep your tires pumped. Keeping your tires properly inflated and aligned can increase gas mileage up to three percent.
• Change your oil. According to the U.S. Department of Energy,you can improve your gas mileage by using the manufacturer’s recommended grade of motor oil.
• Check your owner’s manual for the most effective octane level for your car. For most cars, the recommended gasoline is regular octane. In most cases, using a higher octane gas than the manufacturer recommends offers no benefit.
"Amica Insurance also offers our customers a lot of handy services to make road trips a little less stressful,” said Craig Phelps, a spokesman for Amica Insurance. “Amica customers can print out their insurance identification cards online. We also offer a handy accident checklist, reminding them what to do in case they’re in an accident. Customers also can take advantage of the Roadside Assistance program, which can help if they have a dead battery or flat tire or if they run out of gas. This service is free to all Amica customers who have towing and labor coverage.”
For more information about Amica’s products and services, visit Amica.com, or call 800-242-6422. And don’t forget to check out Amica’s mobile app at Amica.com/mobile.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.