LINCOLN, RI – With severe winter weather slamming much of the nation – and more snow in the forecast this weekend – Amica Insurance reminds motorists to use extra care and offers some tips and reminders to make sure they’re prepared before heading out on the road.
'“The best thing you can do is to avoid unnecessary travel during and immediately after snowstorms,” said Anthony Noviello, an assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “But if you do need to be out on the roads, make sure to allow extra time to get to your destination.”
It’s also important to remember that winter weather can change quickly, so listen to weather forecasts and travel advisories, Noviello said.
Here are a few other reminders:
• Make sure your gas tank is full.
• Keep your cell phone fully charged.
• Make sure you have windshield washer fluid.
• Notify family or friends of your travel plans and the route you plan to take.
• Use extra caution on bridges and overpasses.
• Keep your headlights on if it’s tough to see.
• Leave extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
Drivers should also keep a winter emergency kit in their car, Noviello noted. Keep a small shovel and some sand in your trunk in case you get stuck. And equip your car with jumper cables, road flares and extra blankets and warm clothes.
If you find yourself stuck on the roads in a winter storm, contact your local authorities or state police immediately, Noviello said. If it’s safe to do so, stay with your car and wait for help to arrive. Experts also offer these tips:
• If it’s safe to exit your car, tie a brightly colored piece of cloth to the antenna so your car is easier to find.
• Make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of snow to prevent a backup of carbon monoxide and crack a window for fresh air.
• Run the engine in short bursts, for 10 minutes at a time.
'“Use common sense when driving in any type of winter weather,” Noviello added. "Even if it takes you a little longer to make it to your destination, the most important thing is that you and your passengers arrive safely. “
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.