LINCOLN, RI –Labor Day weekend has become the unofficial end to summer, and many families will be celebrating with cookouts and parties. But holiday weekends also bring an increased risk of motor vehicle accidents, so Amica Insurance reminds you to celebrate responsibly.
"Many people will be traveling this weekend, so it’s important to stay alert and be extra cautious on the roads,” said Lisa DeCubellis, a senior assistant vice president with Amica. “Allow plenty of time to reach your destination, and if you’re traveling on a long trip, take frequent breaks and remember to stop when you’re tired.”
Here are a few other reminders:
• Don’t drink and drive. Make sure you have a designated driver.
• Wear your seatbelt at all times.
• Avoid distracted driving. Many states now ban the use of hand-held cell phones and/or texting while driving.
• Don’t speed or drive carelessly.
• Slow down for road construction and beware of detours.
If you are in an accident, remain calm, turn your hazard lights on and pull off the road, if it is safe to do so, DeCubellis said. If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately.
Here are a few other tips if you are involved in an accident:
• Contact emergency personnel.
• Give the police your version of what happened. Always ask for the police officer’s name, department and incident number.
• Exchange information with the other vehicle’s owner and obtain contact information from passengers and/or witnesses.
• Take photos and videos of the scene if it’s safe to do so.
"Safety is the top priority, so slow down,” DeCubellis said. “So please buckle up and have an enjoyable holiday weekend.”
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT: Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.