Enjoy the water safely with boating tips from Amica
LINCOLN, RI - Spending the day on a boat is a relaxing way to enjoy the warmer weather. But boating can be dangerous, so Amica Insurance is sharing tips to promote safety while out on the water.
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, there were 4,062 recreational boating accidents that led to 560 deaths in 2013. Operator inattention, improper lookout, operator inexperience, excessive speed and machinery failure are the top five contributing factors in accidents, while alcohol use is the leading known factor in fatal accidents.
Amica is sharing the following tips from the Coast Guard to promote boating safety:
• Have a first-aid kit, flares and a Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher onboard.
• Make sure children under 13 are wearing life jackets that fit properly.
• Only allow experienced drivers to operate the boat.
• Always tell someone where you’re going and when you plan on returning.
• Avoid boating in extreme weather, and bring a radio onboard to monitor weather conditions.
• Passengers should always keep their feet and legs inside the boat.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,200 employees in 40 offices across the country.
Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.