Caught in a winter storm? Amica Insurance shares survival tips
LINCOLN, RI – No one wants to imagine a scenario in which they’re stranded in the car during a winter storm. But it’s a very real possibility at this time of year, so Amica Insurance is sharing some survival tips to keep in mind until help arrives.
“Winter weather can strike without warning, turning a routine trip down the street into a dangerous trek through the elements,” said Lisa DeCubellis, a senior assistant vice president with Amica Insurance. “If you do end up getting stuck on the road, it’s important to stay in your car and out of the cold.”
Hypothermia and frostbite can lead to the loss of fingers and toes, permanent damage to the kidneys, liver and pancreas, and even death. That’s why Amica Insurance is offering advice from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to help keep you safe if you’re stuck in a winter storm:
- Always stay in your vehicle. You will become disoriented quickly in wind-driven snow and cold temperatures.
- Run the engine for about 10 minutes every hour to provide heat. However, be sure to slightly open a window to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Turn on the dome light at night when running the engine.
- After the snow stops, open the hood of your vehicle to indicate that you need assistance.
- Tie a colored cloth – preferably red – to your door or antenna.
- Be sure to move arms, legs, fingers and toes to keep blood circulating.
“Remember to stay calm and follow these tips if you’re ever stranded,” DeCubellis said. “They just might help save your life or that of a loved one.”
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT:Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.