Ordered to evacuate before Hurricane Irene strikes? Amica offers tips
LINCOLN, RI – State and local authorities have ordered the mandatory evacuation of coastal and low-lying communities in advance of Hurricane Irene. Amica Insurance reminds everyone to heed evacuation orders and offers these tips to protect your family and your home.
“Never disregard hurricane warnings and evacuation orders,” said Ted Murphy, superintendent of claims for Amica. “If you’re ordered to evacuate, do so immediately. Your main concern should always be the safety of you and your family.”
Here are some other reminders:
- Turn off electricity, gas and water supplies if you have time.
- Disconnect electrical appliances.
- If you're heading to a shelter, bring your emergency supply kit, as well as extra clothes, pillows, blankets and supplies.
- Bring important papers, including driver's license, insurance records, medical records, cash and credit cards.
- Take only essential items.
- Bring your pet or make arrangements for your pet if you're planning to go to a shelter. Most public shelters don't allow pets because of health regulations. Remember: Pet shelters fill quickly. Call ahead and don't forget the pet's identification collar and rabies tag, a carrier or cage, a leash, ample supplies of food and water and any necessary medications.
- Follow posted evacuation routes. Other roads may be blocked or closed.
- Let family and friends know you’re in a safe place.
Make sure to review your evacuation plan with family, friends and neighbors so they know how to reach you after the storm,” Murphy said. “If anyone in your family has special needs or disabilities, alert local authorities for assistance.”
Also, don’t forget to register on the Safe and Well site on disastersafe.redcross.org, a website that people can check to see if their family members are okay. You can access this at www.redcross.org or by calling 800-REDCROSS (800-733-2767).
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT:Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.