Amica Insurance offers tips to beat the heat
LINCOLN, RI – Record-breaking heat continues to scorch much of the East Coast, so Amica and the American Red Cross are offering tips to help you take precautions against the heat.
“High temperatures bring special health risks,” said Paul Shipman, a spokesman for the American Red Cross. “Being aware of the effects of heat is the best way to be prepared. There are basic precautions everyone can take right now that will help avoid potentially serious health risks.”
- Stay indoors, if possible. Try to do errands in the morning or later in the day.
- Avoid strenuous activity.
- Wear light-colored, lightweight clothing and a hat if you’re heading outside.
- Drink lots of water and juice, even if you are not thirsty, to stay hydrated.
- Eat small meals and eat often during the day.
Signs of heat-related illness include nausea, dizziness and heavy sweating. If you see someone with these symptoms, it’s important to take immediate action, Shipman said.
- Move the person to a cool place immediately.
- Urge the individual to drink water every 15 minutes.
- Remove any tight clothing and apply cool, wet towels.
- Call 911 immediately if the person is having trouble breathing, loses consciousness or vomits.
It’s also important to check on elderly family members, friends and neighbors to make sure they’re okay, Shipman said.
The heat will eventually pass, so relax, slow down and try to stay as cool as possible. For more information on heat safety, visit www.riredcross.org.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT:Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.