Amica offers tips for grilling safety
LINCOLN, RI – Holiday weekends are the perfect time to grill your favorite foods with family and friends. But when you fire up the grill, make sure you keep safety in mind.
“Each year, there are about 7,700 fires associated with grilling and more than 17,000 people go to emergency rooms with burns from grilling,” said Lorraine Carli, vice president of communications for the National Fire Protection Association. “It’s important to take a few simple steps to prevent fires and injuries while using your outdoor grill."
Here are a few suggestions:
- Keep all grills at least 10 feet away from your home, garage, porch and deck – and anything else that can catch fire.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill.
- Never leave the grill unattended.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a gas grill.
- Check the hose and connections before using a gas grill. Apply soapy water to hoses and connections to reveal leaks.
- When using a charcoal grill, never use any flammable liquids other than starter fluid to start the fire.
“It’s also important to remember that charcoal and propane grills should only be used outside in a well-ventilated area,” said Lisa Melton, an assistant vice president with Amica.
Also, when it’s time to pack away your grill at the end of summer, remember to never store propane cylinders in garages or enclosed buildings, Melton said. If you plan on storing the grill inside during the winter, always disconnect the cylinder and leave it outside.
But for now, it’s barbecue season. Remember that grilling fires and injuries are often preventable, Melton said. So take a few simple precautions to keep your summer grilling safe and enjoyable.
Amica Mutual Insurance Company, the nation's oldest mutual insurer of automobiles, was founded in 1907. The company, with corporate headquarters in Lincoln, RI, is a national writer of automobile, homeowners, marine and personal umbrella liability insurance. Life coverage is available through Amica Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned subsidiary. Amica employs more than 3,100 people in 40 offices across the country.
CONTACT:Vince Burks, Corporate Communications, 50 Amica Way,
Lincoln, RI 02865-1155, 800-652-6422, ext. 24563
Twitter: Amica Insurance
Facebook: Amica Mutual Insurance Co.